|Click here to view the item|
|Title:||[Photograph of Washington County Courthouse, Sandersville, Washington County, Georgia, ca. 1859 or circa 1869]|
Sandersville, ca. 1859 or ca. 1869. Washington County Courthouse. The structure was built circa 1835-1836. It was destroyed in 1855 by the fire which burned much of the downtown area of Sandersville. By 1859 it had been rebuilt. It was then burned by General William T. Sherman in 1864 during the Civil War. It was rebuilt again by circa 1869. It is unclear whether this photograph was taken of the building before or after the Civil War.
2003/07/10: The Washington County Courthouse still stands and was renovated in 1987.
|Types:||Photographs | StillImage|
|Subjects:||Courthouses--Georgia--Washington County | Architecture--Georgia--Sandersville | Georgia--Politics and government--Sandersville | United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 | United States, Georgia, Washington County, Sandersville, 32.9815431, -82.810138|
|Institution:||Digital Library of Georgia|
|Rights and Usage:|
Held by Georgia Archives, 5800 Jonesboro Road, Morrow, GA 30260.
Contact repository re: reproduction and usage.
|Persistent Link to Item:||http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/vang/id:was113|