New South Newspaper: Port Royal & Beaufort, 1862-1866
|Collection homeCompact list of all itemsSearch this collection's 64 items|
|Title:||New South newspaper : Port Royal & Beaufort, 1862-1866|
Union postmaster Joseph H. Sears published the New South newspaper out of the post office building on Union Square in Port Royal, S.C., on a weekly basis beginning in March 1862. The paper was moved to the town of Beaufort sometime in 1865 and remained there until it ceased in 1867. The New South offers a glimpse into an era of unprecedented social upheaval in the South Carolina Lowcountry. In the Battle of Port Royal Sound of Nov. 7, 1861, Union Navy forces seized control of Port Royal Harbor, and Beaufort District's white residents fled in their wake. Union forces occupied the district through the end of the war. Officials confiscated the abandoned properties and resold them to former slaves and Northern cotton speculators. Abolitionists resettled in the area to provide aid to the newly emancipated slaves, who comprised the overwhelming majority of district residents, and to open schools such as the Penn School on St. Helena Island. In 1865, U.S. Army General William T. Sherman issued Special Field Order No. 15, which reserved for former slaves the islands from Port Royal to Charleston (President Andrew Johnson later revoked the order). The years immediately following the war saw Beaufort's economy diversify, the district reorganize as Beaufort County, and African Americans and the Republican Party rise to political prominence, led by Hastings Gantt, Thomas E. Miller, and Robert Smalls.
|Subjects:||United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Newspapers | South Carolina--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Newspapers | United States, South Carolina, 33.836081, -81.163724|
|Institution:||University of South Carolina|
|Contributors:||South Caroliniana Library | University of South Carolina. Library. Digital Collections|
|Persistent Link to Item:||http://www.sc.edu/library/digital/collections/newsouth.html|